Monday, June 7, 2010

CIO sleep training - not what I thought

So... I've always been against the CIO (cry it out) sleep training....until now.  Last night I was curious as to whether Weston was ready to start putting himself to sleep or not.  So last night we went through the usual routine until the whole falling asleep part, instead of rocking and singing him to sleep I laid him in his crib, sang him a song, turned on his mobile and told him to watch the froggies dance to the music.  Told him "night night baby, I love you.  Sweet dreams" just like every other night.  I then gave him Spot (his puppy) and covered him up and kissed him goodnight.  I put the crib side up and walked out, shutting the door to a crack behind me.  
Oh it was HORRIBLE!  Seriously!  I wasn't about to wait out the full half hour, no way!  Just at the time I couldn't take it anymore was the time Travis cracked as well so I went in and picked him up and soothed him.  I put his head on my shoulder, gave him his binky and he was out.  I gave him a few more kisses and bid him goodnight once again and as I laid him down, he started to stir.  He opened his eyes the slightest bit then grabbed spot, rolled onto his side, and the binky slowly slid out of his mouth, which meant once again he was out but this time for the night.  Literally the night, he didn't wake up until 6:45 instead of the 2 times he usually wakes at 1 and 4.  Today for his afternoon nap I decided to try it and if he didn't go to sleep in the first ten minutes then that was it, no more.  However to my greatest surprise... he was asleep in eight minutes, EIGHT minutes!  So tonight I tried it again and he was out in SEVEN minutes!  I never thought it would work this well, I just thought hey, someone I know did it and it worked for them so I will try it for a few nights and see.... IT WORKED!  WOW!  I'll let you know if it stops working ....... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment